Bringing a Taste of Ghana To The World
Lobster Meat with Stewed Rice
- 2 (2-pound) live lobsters; reserve livers and/or roe
- 3 medium-ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- salt to taste
- ¼ pound shelled deveined shrimp
- ¾ cup melted butter or margarine
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 bay leaf, split
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cups cooked curried rice
- Split lobster lengthwise down the middle and remove center vein.
- Clean the lobster by removing the viscera (but save the livers and roe) and the veins and crack the claws.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt, dot with butter, and roast in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- Brush with butter once or twice.
- Remove claws, crack, and take out all meat, including the tail meat.
- Reserve shells.
- Dice meat, mix with liver and/or roe found in lobsters.
- Prepare a roux (brown the flour in butter), add onion and green pepper, and cook until tender; then stir in tomatoes and the tomato paste to make a gravy.
- While gravy is simmering, boil shrimp in ½ cup water with salt and split bay leaf for 15 minutes.
- Retain stock.
- Add stock to gravy, stir in salt and pepper, then lobster meat and shrimp, continue simmering until well cooked.