Makes 2,5 litres (10 cups) of melkkos
- 200g sago
- 2.5 liters milk
- 2 eggs
- 60 ml water
- 30 g custard powder
- 2 ml salt
- 15 ml butter/margarine
- cinnanamon Sugar
- Soak the sago in the milk for about an hour.
- Gradually bring the mixture to the boil over moderate heat, using a heavy based saucepan.
- Stir it quite often in order to prevent burning and simmer until the sago is soft and transparent.
- Separate the eggs. Beat together the egg yolks, water, custard powder and salt.
- Add the custard mixture to the milk mixture and simmer until thick, stirring often.
- Add the butter/margarine.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Stir a little of the stiffly beaten egg white into the hot melkos until mixed.
- Then lightly fold the remaining egg white into the mixture, using a metal spoon.
- Pour the custard melkkos into a heat proof serving dish, sprinkle lavishly with cinnamon sugar and serve immediately.