- Rinse peas under running water and soak them in a bowl of water for a few hours or overnight.
- After they are soaked, rub them together between your hands to remove their skins.
- Rinse again to wash skins away. Drain them in a sieve.
- Crush, grind, or mash the peas into a thick paste.
- Add enough water to form a smooth, thick batter that will cling to a spoon.
- Add remaining ingredients (not including oil) and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Make fritters by scooping up a spoonful of batter and using another spoon to quickly push the batter into the hot oil.
- Fry the fritters until they are golden brown. Turn them frequently to brown evenly.
Makes about 2 dozen fritters.